Meet our volunteer development team
Volunteer Development Manager
Joy joined the St Luke's HR team in 2009 and soon took responsibility for the recruitment, training and development of volunteers. She takes a strategic overview of volunteering and collaborates with other hospices to develop policies and best ways of working. She regularly visits schools, colleges, recruitment fairs and the Job Centre to promote our roles and meets as many prospective volunteers as possible to share how volunteering can have a mutual benefit.
Fran joined St Luke's as a Deputy Shop Manager then progressed to a Shop Manager, where she trained, developed and built relationships with a fabulous team of volunteers. Fran became Volunteer Coordinator in July 2017, and now provides guidance and support to her colleagues in retail with recruiting, training and communicating with volunteers. She also attends recruitment fairs, sets up work placements and links with other local organisations to improve the growth of our volunteering teams.
Community Fundraising Assistant
Zoe joined the fundraising team at St Luke’s in November 2017 where she undertook the role of driving volunteer recruitment for our St Luke’s fundraising events such as Festival of Light, Celebration of Life and Night Strider. Zoe also manages our collections and fundraising activities and works to develop our volunteer network through sharing one off volunteering opportunities to our supporters in the community.
Our Volunteer Development Team is always busy supporting our own volunteers, others in the community and similar charities. Here's a taster of what we're currently working on:
- We continue to work closely with Schools and Colleges around Sheffield, we have placements supporting the teams at Firth Park, Hillsborough, City Road, and Gleadless Shops. This is a great way to boost confidence, improve communication, customer service and retail skills and we find that many Students remain with the team after the placement has finished.
- The Patient Facing Volunteers are invited to attend the monthly peer support sessions and ongoing development training – this month’s topic was an introduction to Makaton
- The ‘Volunteer Journey’ training has been rolled out to all Retail Managers and Deputies – the evaluation from the training was extremely positive.
- During the first 2 months of 2019 we have received 83 new volunteer applications from individuals who have expressed an interest in joining the retail team. 50% of which were via our re-designed volunteer section on the St Luke’s website .
- St Luke’s Volunteer Long Service event will be celebrated later in the year – more details to follow
- It is important that we keep your records up to date, your Manager will be asking you to complete Contact Details Form.
- Finally, Joy Wigfield has received training and is now a qualified Mental Health First Aider
Upcoming recruitment fairs and events
Below you can find upcoming events where you can meet us and ask any of your questions about volunteering with St Luke's.
- Sheffield Wednesday Football Collection - Sunday 5 May. Cheer on the OWLS! Volunteer with us for a couple of hours before the match, helping us to collect vital funds our patients and get a ree ticket to watch the match straight after. Volunteer with a friend and you'll both get a free ticket.
- Celebration of Life - Sunday 21 July - A special summer event for friends and supporters of St Luke's to celebrate the lives of their loved ones. We need some help greeting our guests and providing hospitality services in our lovely gardens.