Meet our volunteer development team
Volunteer Development Manager
Joy joined the St Luke's HR team in 2009 and soon took responsibility for the recruitment, training and development of volunteers. She takes a strategic overview of volunteering and collaborates with other hospices to develop policies and best ways of working. She regularly visits schools, colleges, recruitment fairs and the Job Centre to promote our roles and meets as many prospective volunteers as possible to share how volunteering can have a mutual benefit.
Fran joined St Luke's as a Deputy Shop Manager then progressed to a Shop Manager, where she trained, developed and built relationships with a fabulous team of volunteers. Fran became Volunteer Coordinator in July 2017, and now provides guidance and support to her colleagues in retail with recruiting, training and communicating with volunteers. She also attends recruitment fairs, sets up work placements and links with other local organisations to improve the growth of our volunteering teams.
Community Fundraising Assistant
As an activities volunteer at Clifford House, Morven was able to experience the important work that St Luke’s does and this motivated her to become part of the fundraising team in May 2019. As a Community Fundraising Assistant she is involved with driving volunteer recruitment for St Luke’s fundraising events such as Night Strider, Celebration of Life and Festival of Light. Morven also manages our fundraising activities and collections as well as working to develop our volunteer network through sharing one-off volunteering opportunities to our supporters in the community.
Our Volunteer Development Team is always busy supporting our own volunteers, others in the community and similar charities. Here's a taster of what we're currently working on:
- We're delighted to announce that our volunteers have been awarded the coveted Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award given to volunteer groups across the UK, recognising our wonderful Volunteers who since 1971 have shown true dedication to help Sheffield people affected by terminal illness.
- We continue to work closely with Schools and Colleges around Sheffield, we have placements supporting the teams at Firth Park, Hillsborough, City Road, and Gleadless Shops. This is a great way to boost confidence, improve communication, customer service and retail skills and we find that many Students remain with the team after the placement has finished.
- The ‘Volunteer Journey’ training has been rolled out to all Retail Managers and Deputies – the evaluation from the training was extremely positive.
- It is important that we keep your records up to date, your Manager will be asking you to complete Contact Details Form.
- Our Patient Facing Training in June will be Safeguarding and in July it will be Cultural Awareness – for existing volunteers
- 100 volunteers have been recruited in the last 4 months across all departments
- We have done lots of recruitment in our Bereavement Department, with 5 new volunteers Joining us
- Our Long Service awards will be held at Cutlers hall on 1st August, eligible volunteers will receive their invite in June
Upcoming recruitment fairs and events
Below you can find upcoming events where you can meet us and ask any of your questions about volunteering with St Luke's.
- Celebration of Life - Sunday 21 July - A special summer event for friends and supporters of St Luke's to celebrate the lives of their loved ones. We need some help greeting our guests and providing hospitality services in our lovely gardens.
- There will be a VAS Volunteer Recruitment Fair at The Circle on Rockingham Lane on 6th June, from 10 – 4, please pop in for a chat about our different roles